Questions from Congo

Questions, answers, remarks etc. about the implementation of the ICDS statutes and Rules of procedures in the units
Christian

Questions from Congo

Post by Christian »

These are the requested points from Congo from Nov. 16th:
I copied the thread from the GC forum because this could be of interest to other people, too:

Article 6.4 of membership: The candidate who commits himself before
God and in the presence of the community must first undergo an
interrogation leading him to the commitment. This questioning can also
be the subject of an appendix that the general committee had to propose
to us in order to standardize. Then we must specify the person authorized
to receive the commitments of a member.

Answer Christian: Article 6.3. says this very clear:
If the candidate and the unit coordination team (or the appointed responsible Formation Coordinator) conclude that the candidate is ready, he/she must make a formal written request to the unit coordination team to make a temporary commitment. This letter must include:
• Why does the candidate want to become a committed Lay Salvatorian?
• What are the gifts that the candidate brings to the mission of the Salvatorian Family?
• What apostolate is the candidate available to work with?
In those units where a unit coordination team does not yet exist, formal membership is requested through the General Committee of the ICDS.

So the receiving of the commitment of "new" members is the responsibility of the unit leadership team or especially of the unit coordinator. The minimum content of the request is noticed above and has to get proven by the unit coordinator (or an appointed responsible Formation Coordinator by the unit leadership team).

 Articles 7.1 and 7.8.1 seem to us to be incompatible with regard to the
duration of mandates. This could create a malfunction. If the mandate of
the general committee lasts five years and that of the units three years.

Answer Christian: I can't follow any malfunction. Those procedures are running in several units for years without problems. Why should this not work everywhere then? Here is a more detailed image necessary, what is meant exactly.

 No article has been provided for asset management. We consider that
everything we acquire belongs to CIDS both internationally and
nationally. How are we to understand this?

Answer Christian: Of course, everything that we (that means all members from everywhere) acquire belongs to the whole ICDS. But for better management, we have established a financial commission. This financial commission tries to implement the decisions of the General Assembly. At the last General Assembly, we decided to follow a Finacial model, which considers the financial realities and possibilities of each country. It bases on the so-called "Big Mac - index", the "rice index" or the "beer index". These indexes mirror the buying power of each country and give info about the average income. And with that, we are able to treasure the equivalent monthly or annual amount of a country or member. It's important and necessary that each member can give his own contribution based on this model and we can meet on an equal base.
More information you can get at the financial commission.
Christian

Re: Questions from Congo

Post by Christian »

Answer by Ken:
Ken Drake wrote: Thu 17. Nov 2022, 18:13 Is the question regarding "asset management" referring to physical assets (example: sewing machines or financial assets (savings account)? Either way, I think these do belong to the unit which is a member of the ICDS.
Christian

Post by Christian »

Answer by Christian:
Christian wrote: Thu 17. Nov 2022, 18:33 In my understanding "asset management" is regarding both things - physical and financial assets. In case of an insolvent of the ICDS all asset values will be counted. That is one of the steps we have to consider when we transfer to the international association now. The units will not be completely independent and we could and should think about some fuses so that we will not get into trouble.
Christian

Post by Christian »

Answer by Ken:
Ken Drake wrote: Thu 17. Nov 2022, 18:50 OK, but one example: The USA gave sewing machines to the Congo for the Kasomeno Project. I don't want the Congo to worry that if the ICDS becomes insolvent, the ICDS would take the sewing machines and sell them. They belong to the Congo Unit. I grant the Congo Unit is part of the ICDS. It is a sticky situation that hopefully will never happen.
Christian

Post by Christian »

Answer by Christian:
Christian wrote: Thu 17. Nov 2022, 22:14 First, and don't misunderstand me here: I don't think that any things which were sent to Africa would be reclaimed sometime. This was made also before the time of the ICDS and would not be of any relevance then.

Rather, we need to see now and in the future what is really in the possession/inventory of the ICDS. Here we have to create more clarity and awareness, just also the question, of what belongs to which level/unit.

Here we will have to develop still some ROP's.
Christian

Post by Christian »

Answer by Sabin:
SABINSABIN wrote: Tue 22. Nov 2022, 19:46 Ken said:
OK, but one example: The USA gave sewing machines to the Congo for the Kasomeno Project. I don't want the Congo to worry that if the ICDS becomes insolvent, the ICDS would take the sewing machines and sell them. They belong to the Congo Unit. I grant the Congo Unit is part of the ICDS. It is a sticky situation that hopefully will never happen.
I think that is the question that the Congo is asking. I agree with Ken.
We have to divide the issue into two levels:
    • a unit level with local accounts and properties where the unit is responsible for their local assets;
      • and an international level; were GC and GA are responsible for the ICDS money account and any international property it manages (e.g. financial investments or a building for general administration/international formation/meetings if they exist in the future in any way)
      Christian

Post by Christian »

Answer by Christian:
      Christian wrote: Wed 23. Nov 2022, 11:19 As far as I know, gives the recognition of the ICDS at the Dicastery as an "International CDS" only the possibility to make the recognition of the ICDS on the local (unit/country) level more simple. So each unit is invited to make a recognition process in their own country with the base of the ICDS decree because most of the relevant countries have a so-called concordat (a contract with the Vatican) about the establishment/implementation of associations, institutes, etc. of the catholic church. So there has to be a local body by law established in each unit.
      However, since the laws of the countries are different, unit managers must make an effort and take responsibility for this locally.
      Deogratias

Post by Deogratias »

Je suis très content que notre préoccupation du Congo ait été très débattu. cela prouve l'intérêt que le comité général porte sur notre unité. Ce sont des questions de routine dans toutes les associations. seulement il faudrait que pour une bonne gestion la coordination locale soit légalement établie et avoir un réglèment qui précise les responsabilités dans la gestion. Normalement tout ce qui est acquit au nom de l'ICDS appartient à l'ICDS que ca soit au niveau international ou local. Mais la gestion incombe à la coordination locale qui doit établir un rapport annuel de gestion à sa hierarchie qui est le comité géneral. Quant au comité général d'avoir des personnes éfficaces capables d'analyser les rapports et faire des remarques constructives pour l'amélioration de gestion. Et pour une bonne gestion je pense que le comité général devra envisager la politique de développement des projets dans lesquels les animateurs sont non seulement des volontaires salvatoriens mais des professionnels qui devront être contrôlés par la coordination ayant la gestion du projet dans sa responsabilité. Merci et bonne journée à tous
      Christian

Post by Christian »

Merci Deogratias pour ta suggestion, je vais la garder à l'esprit.
      Deogratias

Post by Deogratias »

Merci beaucoup CHRISTIAN. Nous nous préparons très bien à la fête du 08 Décembre 2022.