EMAIL TO MR MILLIGHAN OCT 15TH 2019 SPIRITUALITY ISSUE

VENEZUELAICDS

EMAIL TO MR MILLIGHAN OCT 15TH 2019 SPIRITUALITY ISSUE

Post by VENEZUELAICDS »

Christian ICDS
Mié 16/10/2019
5:30 AM
Good morning,

after our intensive discussion about the text of "Lay Salvatorian Spirituality" and the in divergent direction moving points of view in our group, I thought to get more advice at the source of the requirement. So I wrote to Dr. Milligan and got the answer below today. It's clear that he can't define our spirituality, that was also not my question. But he sent some questions, in addition, to bring us together back on the road.

My suggestion is now to check the texts we have again with the questions and try to combine them in a good way. I think the core is there already but it needs the right packaging, the right edition, the right language.

I'm curious to hear your opinions and suggestions, and I'm sure that Anne & Ken will to find the right wording.

Christian

-------- Weitergeleitete Nachricht --------
Betreff: R: Ongoing work on the iCDS statutes
Datum: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 08:52:12 +0200 (CEST)
Von: Philip Milligan <legaloffice@laityfamilylife.va>
An: 'Christian ICDS' <christian.patzl@laysalvatorians.org>

Dear Dr. Patzl,

Thank you for your message.

Obviously, it is not up to me to define the Lay Salvatorian Spirituality. I do think, however, that it is useful to answer questions like the following in this part of the statutes:

what is the source of the spirituality (reference to Salvatorian founders, reference to Salvatorian family);

what is the style of life this spirituality inspires;

what is the apostolic attitude it inspires (I think you will have an article elsewhere talking specifically about the association’s apostolate).

A subdivision of this type should also help avoid having repetitions of the same ideas.

I hope this is helpful.

PHILIP MILLIGAN

Da: Christian ICDS [mailto:christian.patzl@laysalvatorians.org]
Inviato: martedì 15 ottobre 2019 13:44
A: Dott. Philip Gerard Milligan <legaloffice@laityfamilylife.va>
Oggetto: Ongoing work on the iCDS statutes

Dear Dr. Milligan,

I want to ask you for some advice in a very intensive discussion question. It's about Art. 5.1 "The Lay Salvatorian Spirituality". Below you see the overview where we are at the moment. Below you see the overview where we are at the moment. In the first column are the remarks we got from the dicastery last time. In column 2 the text we used last time and in column 3 a try to formulate the content new with our own words.

[COLUMN ONE DICASTERY REQUEST-remarks we got from the dicastery last time]
ARTICLE 5

Article 5

Spirituality

Art. 5.1.: Clarify which parts of the text are direct quotes. Revise use of italics.

Art. 5.1.: This article seems to be entirely composed of two citations. In expressing its spirituality, it is important for the association to use its own words, and use citations as an illustration of its own words. Also, while a citation from the Charter is opportune to illustrate the Salvatorian spirituality, a long and uncommented citation from a general text on the vocation of all laity (LG 31) is not opportune.

[COLUMN TWO he text we used last time- on LETTER TO DICASTERY NOV 2017]

Their personal and communal spirituality is rooted in their experience of God the Father. Jesus Christ, who came to give life to all, is the Source and the Center of their spirituality. With Mary, His mother, they bear to others the Savior they have come to know themselves. The Holy Spirit guides and enlightens them along the way. 1 They are called there by God that by exercising their proper function and led by the spirit of the Gospel they may work for the sanctification of the world from within as a leaven. In this way they may make Christ known to others, especially by the testimony of a life resplendent in faith, hope and charity. Therefore, since they are tightly bound up in all types of temporal affairs it is their special task to order and to throw light upon these affairs in such a way that they may come into being and then continually increase according to Christ to the praise of the Creator and the Redeemer (LG, 31) 2

“The kindness and love of God our Savior for humanity appeared..." (Titus 3:4) became for him the pathway for his intimate relationship with God and the content of Salvatorian living and teaching.

Father Francis and Mother Mary of the Apostles are guides for the Salvatorian Family in the following of Christ like the apostles. In spiritual affinity with them, the Lay Salvatorians seek to live these values in their lives in order to reach the fullness of Christ and to help others coming to a fuller spiritual life.

1 → Charter of the Salvatorian Family, Rome, June 2007

2→ Dogmatic constitution on the church - LUMEN GENTIUM solemnly promulgated by his holiness pope PAUL VI , 1964

[COLUMN THREE a try to formulate the content new with our own words.]

Lay Salvatorian spirituality is part of the Salvatorian spirituality, which is expressed by the members of the International Community of the Divine Savior through a particular lifestyle: being poor in spirit as guided by the Salvatorian charisma and the Salvatorian mission. It is found in being that means it's not what Lay Salvatorians are doing, it is how they are doing it. Through their commitment and the chosen way of life as Lay Salvatorians, the goodness and righteousness of God becomes visible.

Lay Salvatorian spirituality is a spirituality of life. Living as a Lay Salvatorian means living every day anew and meeting other people in a healing way, enabling them to be caring, loving, growing, learning, praying people of God. It rests on three distinct ideals: a deep connection to the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, a lifestyle according to John 17,3 and an active search for community life with a shared vision of like-minded people.

Lay Salvatorian spirituality is all about forming one's heart for life so that the opportunity exists to become more and more about people who live in relationship with God and for others. The communal spiritual life requires them to serve together, pray together and give life to one another through the witness of the goodness and kindness of Jesus Christ.

Lay Salvatorians are called to action with a deep sense of humility, bearing any hardships we may encounter with love and patience, for the salvation of all. We are called to serve those near and far without boundaries of nations, race and ethnicity, ideology or creed.

Lay Salvatorians will always remain open to learning and encountering other environments, cultures, and religions. They value in these the ideals that promote the life and development of all human beings and human society mirroring God's unconditional love for His whole creation. They seek to bear Christ to others while finding Christ in others. They seek to enable all to see for themselves the love God has for all humanity and to share that love with all those around them. In this way, Lay Salvatorians are working towards changing human society and its values.

END OF TABLE

Our question is now if the text in the third column does match more the requirement of the dicastery? Or is it of benefit to have more parts of the old text still present and we should not make to many changes?

This part of the text is carried with many emotions, feelings, and different mentalities. It's a challenge to find the right wording for several continents and that all can mirror themselves in it. What is too much for the one, is simultaneously too little for the other ones - and vice versa.

Maybe you could give us some directives/examples how we can match the request in a good way, please.

Many thanks for your support

Christian Patzl

President of the ICDS