Chapter 6.4.

Christian

Chapter 6.4.

Post by Christian »

After a request of the candidate and simultaneous declaration of support of the responsible person for the formation, a decision is made by the unit executive team concerning a temporary commitment to the ICDS. The GC has to be informed about this process and has to give its agreement.
The content of the request of the candidate has to describe the well-founded reasons why the candidate wants to become a Lay Salvatorian and a short biography. In Addition, what does the candidate think about his gifts to contribute to the mission of the Salvatorian Family? Where does he see his selves as part of the Salvatorian Family and what apostolates would match his interests and strengths from his point of view?
If the candidate and his passed formation process are accepted by the GC a formal Commitment Ceremony proceeds in a local suitable place of the Salvatorian Community. The commitment is always solemnly given in the context of a liturgical celebration and should take place preferably on a Salvatorian fest day (Dec 8th; Jun16th; Sep 8th). During the ceremony, when the candidate commits to the present members of the executive team by reading and signing the commitment formula, a candle is lit as a sign of his personal renewing. The commitment will be accepted by the unit coordinator or his substitute.
In those countries where an executive team of the ICDS unit does not yet exist, the formal membership request has to be made at the international leadership. In addition to the membership request, a recommendation of the responsible person for the formation program is necessary. The further practical procedure is according to the lines above only that a member of the GC or a delegate determined by the GC accepts the commitment during the ceremony.

Here the text of the commitment can be added.

When the first temporary commitment is made, the Candidate becomes a member of the ICDS and is expected to participate in an apostolate and individual and community prayer.
The temporary commitment requires as such an annual renewal until, after a process of discernment, the member expresses a permanent commitment to the ICDS. The length of time between the first temporary and the permanent commitment should be ordinarily no more than six and no less than two years.
In case the process does not bring success - the GC or the unit leadership team suggests the new member to freely withdraws from the community or is excluded by it.
Celso

Re: Chapter 6.4.

Post by Celso »

I am agree whith all consideration, but whem we measure the permanent commitment in the secular life of the lay person, does not reflect the reality of the life lived by the people, and we need a constant self-analysis of how we are leading our lives, so a permanent commitment is not something tangible with the secular reality that we live.
So I suggest the following change in the text:

When the first commitment is made, the candidate becomes a member of the ICDS and is expected to participate in an apostolate and individual and community prayer.
As such, the commitment requires an annual reflection and renewal, aiming at constantly revising the Christian values that lead us to live as a Salvatorian's lay, thus establishing a permanent link with the ICDS
If the process does not succeed - the GC or unit leadership team suggests that the new member withdraw freely from the community or be excluded by it.
Christian

Post by Christian »

UPDATE

Post by Ken Drake » 26 May 2019, 22:30
I am not convinced that the GC should have to "give its agreement" for each candidate to make commitment. Three reasons: 1) I think that we should trust the local unit leadership enough to make this decision, 2) this would add more time to the acceptance procedure (Here in the US, the candidate must be approved by the Lay Salvatorian National Board and they only meet twice a year, so the candidate might have to wait six months for acceptance to make commitment.) and 3) Does the Society or Congregation require "agreement" from their Generalates for Profession of vows? Does Dr. Milligan think that it is necessary for the GC to approve all candidates?

Post by Ken Drake » 26 May 2019, 22:44
I just re-read "Formation" on the forum and most of this was discussed there also, but we didn't seem to come to any consensus, so this may have to be a discussion in December. Do we have any idea what Dr. Milligan would accept on the question of "approval by the ICDS" for units that do already have a leadership team/notional board?

Post by Christian » 28 May 2019, 09:28
I agree with you that the national executive must decide on the admission of a new member. But the GC (the secretary) needs to get a notice about that. The GC is unable to do that because this is far away from each reality! Therefore I do not see any reason why he should not accept this.

Post by SABINSABIN » 11 Jun 2019, 04:50
“I am not convinced that the GC should have to "give its agreement" for each candidate to make commitment….”

My comments: AGREE COMPLETELY

"3) Does the Society or Congregation require "agreement" from their Generalates for Profession of vows?"
My comments: Maybe yes, but reasons 1) and 2) are enough.

"Does Dr. Milligan think that it is necessary for the GC to approve all candidates?"
My comments: Does him said something about it?

“I agree with you that the national executive must decide on the admission of a new member. But the GC (the secretary) needs to get a notice about that.”
My comments: Ok, very clear any new commitment or renew process must be communicated to GC- secretary. Is the best way to confirm changes in statistics and match with annual ones the unit is supposed to send to GC

“… most of this was discussed there also, but we didn't seem to come to any consensus, so this may have to be a discussion in December…”
My comments: Please don’t do this…don’t wait till December to begin discussion…December will be insufficient to finish any discussion. We have had this experience in 2017, a lot of for discussion, only several days, no time for even breeze, and solutions didn’t get ready on time. We are still on same issues discussion. Let’s continue working and discussing now and every week, even on “vacation days” (July-August-September) in order to have most of topics ready onec we visit Vatican oiffices in December-WE NEED TO PUT THIS IN AGENDA AND ASK SCHEDULE WITH VATICAN-.

“…Do we have any idea what Dr. Milligan would accept on the question of "approval by the ICDS" for units that do already have a leadership team/notional board?”
My comments: If in the meantime from here to December we need any consultation with Dr. Millighan as Chris did some weeks ago, better to do it and move forward the process.

Commitment formula: the one used in Venezuela, Mexico, Spain
(EN)
Commitment Act
Date
(First/Renewal) Commitment Salvatorian Lays of (place)
Community (name of the community of Salvatorians laymen)

Lord Jesus Christ, Savior of the world, to intensify my baptismal commitment, I (name) pledge myself before you and in the presence of the community of Lay Salvatorians of (place) for one year, with the Salvatorian mission of the Church, collaborating in the salvation of all The men, as proposed by our founder Father Francis Mary of The Cross Jordan, according to the Statutes of the "International Community of the Divine Savior". As a committed layman, I want to commit myself to my witness of life and apostolic action so that Christ may be known and loved by all men. Counting on the grace of God, with the intercession of Mary, Mother of the Savior and the Apostles and with the support of the Salvatorian family, I hope to faithfully fulfill my commitment.
Name
Signature
Date

(SP)ESPAÑOL
Acta de compromiso
Fecha
(Primer/Renovación) Compromiso Salvatorianos Laicos de (lugar)
Comunidad (Nombre de la comunidad de Salvatorianos Laicos)

Señor Jesucristo, Salvador del mundo, para intensificar mi compromiso bautismal, yo (Nombre) me comprometo ante Ti y en presencia de la Comunidad de Salvatorianos Laicos de (Lugar) por un año, con la misión Salvatoriana de la iglesia, colaborando en la salvación de todos los hombres, conforme nos los propone nuestro fundador el padre Francisco María de La Cruz Jordán, según los estatutos de la “Comunidad Internacional del Divino Salvador”. Como laico comprometido, quiero empeñarme con mi testimonio de vida y acción apostólica a fin de que Cristo sea conocido y amado por todos los hombres. Contando con la gracia de Dios, con la intercesión de María, Madre del Salvador y de los Apóstoles y con el apoyo de la Familia Salvatoriana, espero cumplir fielmente mi compromiso.
Nombre
Firma
Fecha